Lisa Walker gu, vo – Wussy – Top Tens of 2011
2011: Livin it up in the Midwest (and South) – 10 awesome things that I got to experience because I live in Cincinnati.
– Rabbit Hash, Kentucky – Bluegrass every Sunday. Free mac and cheese. Antiques, river, dog-mayor (really!).
– Bandmates and Workmates that inspire me daily and are always introducing me to new music and ideas.
– Lightning Bolt, Black Angels, many more at Southgate House
– Do Ya Hear We Punk Fest in Knoxville, TN
– Marcy Mays (of Scrawl)’s new band Birds of Hair! And her long-awaited new club, Ace of Cups in Columbus, OH.
– Frontier Folk Nebraska’s new album.
– Making a record after work in a state of the art studio that just happens to be down the road from where we all live.
– Cincinnati Basement shows. Bands like White Walls and Vacation are on their way to being legendary.
– Midpoint Music Festival
– Living in an affordable city with plenty of artistic and musical options. And biking uphill.
The TEN GREATEST songs or versions of songs that I heard this year (that were new to me).
(Sorry that they’re not all from 2011)
– “Sunshine of Your Love” – Spanky Wilson (Cream cover)
– “Weather Report” – The Tennors (Simon and Garfunkel cover)
– “Rolling in the Deep” – Adele
– “Holocene” – Bon Iver
– “Light of the Light” – Six Organs of Admittance
– “Puzzle People” – Conspiracy of Owls
– “Mazes” – Moon Duo
– “Dream Baby” – Waylon Jennings (Roy Orbison cover)
– “Short Version” – Wild Flag
– “Bad Vibrations” – Black Angels
Last FM Top Artists for 2011
2. Rolling Stones
3. Al Green
4. The Who
5. The Replacements
6. The Kinks
9. Harry Nilsson
10. The National
Guitarist and vocalist of one of Damnably’s favourite bands, Wussy, who recently joined our roster(!!), and plays solo as The Magic Words. Follow on Twitter here.